Today was the day I decided that I was tired of eating uncrustables and ramen. Whenever the husband is out in the field I turn into a college kid. Ramen with cheese is my idea of gourmet when I’m alone. Frankly, I don’t like to cook for myself. I love to cook for other people. I will spend hours in the kitchen if I know I’m preparing a meal that my husband will enjoy.
So what’s the issue?
Honestly I’m starting to feel like I’m too old to be eating junk all the time. Sure, I keep an arsenal of uncrustables and ramen in the pantry, but it shouldn’t be my go to meal anymore.
So what do I do when I don’t want to cook for myself? I make a meal that will last me a couple of days so I don’t have to prepare anything else. It is also a great recipe for entertaining. I make this when I’m having people over for the first time for dinner. People are always amazed that I make a lasagna in the crockpot. Even more amazed by how delicious it is! Once you crockpot it you’ll never bake a lasagna again.
It’s the Barilla oven-ready lasagne noodles that you buy. Some crockpots only require 1 box of noodles but I get 2 to be safe. Don’t worry — you’ll be making this again for sure. I bought a digital crockpot that is smaller than my old one so I don’t even use an entire box anymore. Force of habit I still buy two boxes. I’m actually making the second box now!
- 1-2 boxes Barilla Oven-Ready Lasagne
- 2 jars marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 15oz ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the beef in olive oil in a skillet until brown
- Mix 2 cups mozzarella, the parmesan and ricotta together
- Cover the bottom of the crockpot in a layer of marinara sauce so the noodles do not burn
- Layer in the crockpot like so: marinara, noodles, ricotta mixture, beef, marinara, noodles, ricotta mixture, beef, marinara, etc.
- Make sure that marinara is the final layer
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours
- 10 minutes before time is up add the last two cups of mozzarella on top, cover and finish cooking
Break the lasagne noodles into pieces to make them fit the shape of the crockpot.
So that’s the recipe. Enjoy and let me know what you think!